How long does it take to get over someone you love after a breakup? 1. Use the 6-Month Rule. Since every person and relationship is different, knowing how long it’ll take to get over a break up can vary—but the six months rule is a good rule of thumb, according to relationship expert Lauren Peacock, author of Female.
How do you get over a breakup with someone you love?
- Acknowledge the truth of the situation.
- Identify relationship needs — and deal breakers.
- Accept what the love meant to you.
- Look to the future.
- Prioritize other relationships.
- Spend time on yourself.
- Give yourself space.
- Understand it may take some time.
How do you accept a relationship is over?
- 1 Let yourself grieve.
- 2 Write down your thoughts about your relationship.
- 3 Talk about your feelings with someone you trust.
- 4 Keep busy with other activities.
- 5 Get into some self-care habits.
- 6 Prepare for life after the breakup.
- 7 Have the conversation soon.
Does space help a broken relationship? Spending time apart can make your relationship a whole lot healthier, Erickson says, because it gives you both a chance to reconnect with your own values, desires. It’ll be easier to connect in a genuine way after you’ve had some space, as well as a lot more exciting.