How do I comfort someone after a breakup?
- Ask what you can do to help, rather than assume you know what they need.
- Help them take care of chores and tasks.
- Be around to help them “reinvent themselves”
- Take care of yourself throughout the process.
- Don’t minimize their emotions with trivializing statements.
What to say to cheer someone up after a breakup? Try: “I am so sorry this happened.” Instead Of: “Be positive — you have a bright future ahead of you.” Try: “It’s amazing to see you smile today after all this.” Instead Of: “It’s time to get over it.”
What to say to someone who is crying over a breakup?
- “Heartache is so painful.
- “You don’t have to go through this alone.
- “You can text me anytime you want.
- “If you want to call me and cry, vent, talk about your ex, or talk about something completely different, anything you need, just call.”
- “Every relationship is different and every break-up is different.
What do you say to comfort someone? So to start off comforting someone, simply describe what you’re seeing/sensing. Say something like, “I know you’re having such a hard time with this,” or “I’m sorry you’re hurting so much.” Also affirm that you hear what they’re saying by saying it back to them in your own words.